Mugging! Gluten Free Chocolate Brownie Cake from Shirley J

A few weeks ago, I got an email that made me giggle like a little school girl. It was from a company that I had never heard of, asking me if I’d have any interest in trying a couple of their products. The products named were Mugging! Gluten Free Chocolate Brownie Cake and Gluten Free Whisk Bliss, and the company is Shirley J. Well, I checked the links to the website to get an idea of what these products were and I’m telling you that I couldn’t reply fast enough with a resounding YES!

Mugging! Gluten Free Chocolate Brownie Cake is a super quick gluten free brownie mix that you make in individual mugs. This stuff is pure fun! D.D. and I could not wait for this package to arrive. As usual, in the interest of full disclosure: This product was sent to me by Shirley J to try. I am under no obligation to give a favorable review, pander to the company or sell my firstborn.



Ease of Use

This is so quick and easy! Just open a packet of the mix and pour it in a mug. Whisk in five tablespoons of water and some chocolate chips (or nuts, or caramel sauce…), then microwave for 90 seconds. We had to add about 20 seconds to the cooking time because our microwave is weird like that, but in less than five minutes we had fresh, hot chocolate brownie cake in the cutest mugs possible.

I do want to point out that even though this appears to be a single serve product, each packet of mix actually makes two servings.

A note on the caramel sauce: We used caramel sundae topping. D.D. mixed hers in with the water and ended up with a caramel chocolate cake that had a slightly denser texture than the regular cake. I drizzled my caramel in after I mixed the batter and it all sank to the bottom. Mine was like a molten caramel chocolate cake - dry and cake-like on top, with a gooey chocolate-cakey-caramelly concoction at the bottom. It was ah-maze-ing!

Appearance




This is a mug of chocolate cake - genius! I want to point out that you can make this Mugging! Gluten Free Chocolate Brownie Cake in any mug, but the ones from Shirley J make a difference. Notice how far the handle comes out from the mug? This is awesome because the mug itself is HOT. The handle seems specially designed to keep you from burning your knuckles. (How thoughtful :)

Taste and Texture

Notice I said chocolate cake above. This is definitely more of a cake texture than a brownie. It is moist, light and fluffy.

I have to be honest and say that the flavor leaves a bit to be desired. This is not the richest chocolate flavor - It’s just a little flat. It’s good, don’t get me wrong, just not enough for those “death by chocolate” types out there. If you have a mega sweet tooth you will definitely need to add in chocolate chips or top it with hot fudge.

Versatility

I love the versatility here. You can personalize your own gluten free chocolate cake with any number of toppings or add-ins.

Overall Value

You can get a gift set with a 16oz mug and one packet of mix for $14.95. A five-pack of mixes costs $12.95. It’s a little pricey, but so fun that it makes a great gift. Use caution when ordering to be sure you are ordering the gluten free brownie cake and gift sets. Regular gluten-filled ones are available as well.

Rating

I love, love, love this concept, but the flavor was not as thrilling as I hoped. I really like this product and will probably order one for my niece so she can join in the fun.
This is D.D. and I Mugging! Notice the look on her face? That's because I wouldn't let her eat it until after the picture. She was not amused.

1 comment:

  1. I got great information from this blog.It is very informative..
    http://bestprodreviews.com

    ReplyDelete